Features incorporated in the Open Government Data (OGD) Platform India to make it accessible are:
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Skip to Navigation: Quick access to the Navigation pane is provided that enables accessing the different sections, such as Data Catalogs, Apps, Communities etc.
- Accessibility Options: Options to change the size of the text and set a color scheme are provided. A color blind or low vision person to access this Website, the color theme change or text size change may be required to help browse through the pages. For example, one can use this option to increase the size of the text for clear visibility and better readability.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as linked text. For example, if a link opens a PDF file, the description specifies its file size. Further, if a link opens a Web site in a new window, the description specifies same.
- Table Headers: The table headings are marked and associated with their corresponding cells in each row. For example, if there are 30 rows and 5 columns in a table, it is difficult for a user with visual disability to make out which data cell belongs to which header. In this situation, an assistive device such as a screen reader can read the column header of any cell for the user. In addition, captions are also specified for each table that act as labels and indicate what data is provided in the table.
- Headings: The Web page content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H1 indicates the main heading, whereas H2 indicates a subheading. In addition, for the screen reader users, there are hidden headings in this Website that are read out by a screen reader for better readability. For example, the Navigation pane has been given a hidden heading as Global Navigation.
- Titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps you to understand the page content easily.
- Alternate Text: Brief description of an image is provided for users with visual disability. If you are using a browser that supports only text or have turned off the image display, you can still know what the image is all about by reading the alternate text in absence of an image.
- Explicit Form Label Association: A label is linked to its respective control, such as text box, check box, radio button, and drop-down list. This enables the assistive devices to identify the labels for the controls on a form.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent style of presentation throughout the Web site is incorporated.
- Expandable and Collapsible Lists: Lists of items are provided that can be expanded to view a list of sub items or can be shrunk using a keyboard, mouse, or screen reader. There are many Web pages in this Website that contain expandable and collapsible lists. Each item in the list is preceded by the '+' symbol that indicates its expandable state. This symbol has been given alternate text to enable the screen readers to identify the state of the symbol to notify users with visual disability. When the '+' symbol is clicked, it changes to '-' that indicates its collapsible state. Further, the alternate text is updated to indicate the same and a list of sub items is displayed. If now the '-' symbol is clicked, it changes to '+'. Further, the alternate text is again updated and the list of sub items goes away, which is referred to as collapsing.
- Keyboard Support: The Website can be browsed using a keyboard by pressing the Tab and Shift + Tab keys.
Back To Accessibility Statement